I got 99 problems but a pitch aint one.
At The Talent Squad HQ we call BS. We know that pitching problems is a great way to get booked on podcasts. All the best media messages address problems!
We frequently hear from authors and entrepreneurs who come to us having not seen success. As publicists we know that the focus of a solid pitch to the media shouldn’t be about the author, book, business or even the expertise. Instead, a pitch should be about a problem that can be solved. Of course, the right person to solve the problem is you (as the expert.)
Pitch a problem. Sizzle the solution
Good stories always contain conflict and problems. We often explain to our agency clients that we as publicists ‘pitch the problem and sizzle the solution.’
What problem are you solving?
- What problem do you solve?
- This is an easy one.
Whose problem are you solving?
- Who would pay for your solution?
- Knowing this will identify your audience (who seeks your solution).
- Identify multiple problems for multiple audiences.
Where is the audience seeking a solution?
- Where are people searching for answers to their problem?
- What media do they consume?
- The answer will identify the type of media outlets to pitch.
- Make a pitch list of the exact outlets you want to outreach.
- Source the contact details for the journalist, producer to contact.
How to pitch a podcast
- Create a strong media message.
- Your message needs to spell out a problem simply and clearly.
- Write your pitch in headlines
- Build in anticipation hooks
- Your problem-based pitch must create the need for a solution (yours).
Don’t become THE problem
- Nobody wants to listen to a complainer.
- You need to be able to simply and quickly articulate a specific problem.
- Also be able to instantly share the solution.
Pitch the problem (not the person)
- Share a technique for implementation that will overcome the problem.
- Be the expert with the answer to the problem.
- Test yourself. Can you explain the problem in one sentence?
- Are you able to share your solution in one sentence?
Work with us
We know how to pitch a podcast. It’s what we do! The Talent Squad specializes in booking podcast interviews for guest experts. To find out more about working with us schedule a time to chat.