While everyone has been distracted talking about whether we are in the ‘golden era’ of podcasting or which organization will be the ‘Netflix of podcasting’ corporate America has been beaving away working on integrating podcasting inside the machine.
Internal podcasts are the new frontier
The conversation has been focused outwardly on consumer-facing podcasts as entertainment. Branded podcasts have been used to reach audiences through storytelling but the bigger game-changer remains largely untapped.
The opportunity for global corporations to turn podcasts inward and lock-the content down for internal usage is yet to be fully explored. The time has come to shift focus from thinking about podcasts as entertainment and a format to a medium of delivery.
There’s scope for multi-departmental integration of podcasting throughout corporate departments of multi-naltional organzations.
Internal podcasts are best suited to large organizations with healthy learning and development budgets, company culture initiatives, and human resources programs for onboarding.
Benefit of internal podcasts
Huge benefits across many departments. Rather than thinking of internal podcasts as a just a ‘company’ podcast, think of it them like an intranet with multiple channels, departments, and purposes.
The proper implementation involves multiple verticles. Here’s a few ideas of usage.
Internal Podcasts for Human Resources
- Staff training
- Learning and development
- Cross-departmental awareness
- Recruitment education/attraction tool
- Occupational health & safety
Podcasts are the new newsletter
You get an e-mail newsletter do you read it or trash it? If you read it how far through do you get or is it just a headline scan? Now, imagine on this week’s podcast the big boss is coming on, your colleage is profiled, and that department (which to be honest you’re not exactly sure what they do) is goiong to walk the company through their process. Welcome to the potential of podcasting for internal communications.
- Company culture
- Employee spotlight
- Executive spotlight/AMA
- Departmental case studies
- Project overviews
- Interviews with stakeholders
- Podcasts act as a ‘living history’ of your organization
Perfect opportunity to appeal to millennials’ desire for connectivity to where they fit in the bigger picture in the process. Access to information on inner workings as a way to connect to other departments.
- Staff to be highlighted in interview/ storytelling formats
- Executives can be highlighted (more accessible)
- Facilitate connection to the mission and purpose
- Reflect contribution and where employees ‘fit’ in the overall output
How to implement internal podcasts
- Podcast portal within organization
- Audio content is protected within the organizations portal
- On-demand via departmental verticals
- Add to company intranet-style app
- Track audio content consumption
- Pull data & analyze to inform future podcast content
- Employee buy-in to various projects/iniatives
- Reduce the gap between executives & employees
- Extension and reflection of company culture
- Higher consumption than email/ newsletter
- Increased connectivity to organization
- Humanization through voice/ stories
Talk to us about your business
Set up a time and we can chat about how internal podcasts will change your business in the long term from the inside-out.